If you order in next 12 minutes, the order will be shipped today
Spend $150.00 more to get a express delivery!
Solar eclipses are always a special time. It’s a moment where we seem to all take a pause and marvel at the wonder of the sky. While it is a rare event, it is also a spiritually significant one.
With a solar eclipse coming on October 14, 2023 for those in the Western Hemisphere (visible to people in North, Central, and South America), let’s get into what an eclipse is, why it’s important, what energy this brings, and what kinds of rituals or practices you can bring in.
OK, so first, there are two to five solar eclipses each year, with a total eclipse taking place every 18 months or so. Whether you can view that eclipse depends on where you are in the world.
Eclipses occur in pairs, with a solar eclipse followed by a lunar eclipse or vice versa. These eclipse cycles have their own significance and can bring about changes in different areas of life. For example, a solar eclipse may initiate a change, while a lunar eclipse may bring closure or culmination.
Astrological & Spiritual Significance
In astrology, we associate solar eclipses with personal transformation and shifts in consciousness. The energy of an eclipse can prompt individuals to reevaluate their goals, relationships, and life paths. They act as a portal; like a door opens for change and you have an opportunity to jump through it, or not.
It also has an impact on a collective level, influencing societal events and trends. Some astrologers analyze the positions of planets and the eclipse in relation to the zodiac signs to make predictions about potential global developments. I don’t – but I usually do advise caution during solar eclipses, as they can bring unexpected changes and challenges and most things happen at an accelerated speed. Use it as a time for reflection, planning, and being a little extra mindful of decisions. Let go of what needs to be gone and make space for all the new stuff coming in!
Across various cultures and traditions, eclipses are viewed as important moments in time. Eclipses are often viewed as a symbol of transformation and renewal or a time to release old patterns and embrace new beginnings. Whatever the symbology and meaning you make of it, the alignment of the Sun, Moon and Earth during an eclipse will enhance the energy of meditation, prayer, and spiritual practices during this time.
If you want to make more of this eclipse than just staring at the sun (kidding, don’t do that! At least not without serious eye protection), you can integrate any number of rituals and practices that work with and honor this energy. Obviously you should watch my workshop to fully understand what’s going on, but in the meantime, here are some good ones to consider.
10 Things to Do this Eclipse
1. Cleansing: Spiritual cleansing rituals, such as smudging with sage or using purifying herbs and incense, can be performed to clear negative energy and prepare for new beginnings.
2. Put Your Crystals to Work: Crystals and gemstones hold energy and can be used during a solar eclipse ritual. Stones like clear quartz, amethyst, and moonstone are commonly associated with eclipses. They can be cleansed and charged with new intentions.
3. Candle Magic: Lighting candles with specific colors and intentions can be a part of eclipse rituals. Each candle color is associated with different energies and intentions (ex: black is for protection, green is for luck, fertility, vitality, etc.), so practitioners choose colors that align with their goals. Just always keep an eye on those candles and don’t burn your place down, k thanks.
4. Meditation and Reflection: Solar eclipses are powerful moments for self-reflection and inner transformation. You can meditate during an eclipse, and focus on releasing old patterns, setting new intentions, and connecting with your higher self.
5. Prayer and Affirmations: Use this solar eclipses as a time for prayer or reciting affirmations. Ask your spirit guides for guidance, protection, or clarity on specific life issues or goals.
6. Journaling: Writing down your thoughts, feelings, and intentions in a journal before, during, or after a solar eclipse can be a powerful way to track personal growth and transformation. This is also an awesome way to grow self-awareness and intuition.
7. Yoga and Energy Work: Engaging in yoga or other energy-balancing practices can help you ground and align your physical and spiritual self during an eclipse.
8. Ritual Baths: A ritual bath with herbs, salts (lots of salts!), and essential oils can cleanse and purify the body and mind before or after an eclipse. And it’s also just really nice to take a lush bath anyway, so here’s your excuse for a long soak.
9. Offerings to Nature: Making offerings to nature, such as planting seeds or performing acts of environmental stewardship, can symbolize a commitment to personal and collective renewal.
10. Tarot or Oracle Card Readings: You can always consult tarot or oracle cards during eclipses to gain insights into your current life path and make decisions with greater clarity.
Enjoy the solar eclipse! The next lunar eclipse of 2023 will be a partial lunar eclipse on October 28. It will be visible over parts of Europe, Asia, Australia, Africa, North America, North/East South America, Pacific, Atlantic, Indian Ocean, Arctic and Antarctica.